Cabra Dominican College Established 1886

Chapel

Leadlight_1000x215.jpg

St Dominic's Chapel

History

The Cabra Dominican College was opened in February 1886 and St Dominic's Chapel, Cabra was opened on 29 April 1917.

Its outstanding feature is the High Altar carved in Italy, of fine white Carrara marble, relieved with inlaid panels of rose and yellow.  The frontispiece consists of a large panel of white marble divided into three sections.  The central panel is decoraded with a sculptured relief of The Last Supper.  On either side are smaller canopies for the statues of St Dominic and St Catherine of Siena.

The main body of the Chapel is lit by a set of ten striking stained glass windows from the famous maker of stained glass, C E Kempe of London.  The three windows over Our Lady's Altar in the Sanctuary are also from the same firm.  The collection of windows has been pronounced one of the world's finest because all are from the same source.

In 1986, St Dominic's Chapel was refurbished and adapted for more effective use by the College.  The building needed extensive repairs and the electrical wiring and sound system were completely replaced.  A new colour scheme to blend with and highlight the colours in the High Altar was chosen and as the Stations of the Cross had consideablely deteriorated over the years they were also repaired and painted with colours chosen to blend with the new colour scheme.  The floor was carpeted and kneelers removed for quiet and comfort and a new lectern was made in keeping with those from 19th Century churches.  The Sanctuary was adapted by having the front altar rails removed and the marble used in the new altar.  A semi-circular extension from the Sanctuary into the Nave was a symbol of integration of priests and people in worship.

The result is a truly magnificant Chapel, completely restored to its former glory to be appreciated as a place of worship and celebration.

Chapel Table of Contents

< back